Who am I?
Since I’m going to be a regular around here, I should probably tell you a little more about myself. I really don’t want you to think I’m some know-it-all diabetic with all this sage advice on how to be absolutely perfect in every way, like the Mary Poppins of Diabetes. I don’t know everything, I don’t have a talking umbrella that flies me to wherever I’m needed, and I’m terrible at singing. I also, obviously, cannot take a spoonful of sugar with my medicine. I am, however, a person who is very good at making lists, so here is a neat little list of some of the things that make me, well, me:
- I have dirty blonde hair (that turns bleach white in the summer if I get enough sun) and eyes that change from blue to green, depending on what I happen to be wearing that day.
- I also have 3 sisters- 2 older and 1 younger, which was convenient for closet sharing when we were growing up, but not so much for mirror sharing.
- I’m a dog person; I feel like cats are judging me whenever they look at me (think about it and you totally know what I mean)
- I (regrettably) graduated from UMass Amherst in 2012 with a degree in History and now I work in Corporate Retail, which makes a whole lot of sense if you don’t think about it.
- I was diagnosed with type 1 about a year after graduating from school and to date it’s one of the sadder things that has happened to me in life.
- I briefly wanted to be an astronaut/astronomer/space person but I get really overwhelmed when I think about how big space is, string theory, and alien life forms that are watching our every move. In thinking about it now, I really just want to be Zenon.
- I have been in a mostly on, sometimes off relationship with the same person for the same number of years as this point, which is like a really long time.
- I pulled a “college” move and became a vegetarian after my sophomore year for no particular reason other than it seemed like a really smart idea (and it has been so far.)
- That being said, people ask all the time if I miss bacon and the answer is no, I do not. I have also never understood the obsession with bacon and I don’t think I ever will.
- In another follow up point, kale confuses me just as much as it confuses you. As does rutabaga- whaaaaat is up with rutabaga?
- I will never, ever, ever buy J. Crew at full price because when you shop their sales at the right time, you walk away with a lot of the store for not a lot of money. I’ve saved $200 plus when I’ve shopped this way and my wardrobe is all the better for it.
- I put regular gas in my car even though it should run with premium because I like to live life on the edge.
- It doesn’t matter what kind of day I’m having, I will never turn down a drink or fro yo or both- the only variable is how much of each I will be having.
- “Times New Roman” reigns supreme, “Comic Sans” makes me sick, “American Typewriter” makes me feel old-school.
- I need at least 7 hours of sleep and two coffees in the morning before I’m an efficient and pleasant human being.
It feels weird only having 15 things to say about myself- does this mean I’m not a narcissist, or does writing a list entirely about myself mean that I’m a narcissist? Loaded questions and, better yet, rhetorical ones. This should give you some kind of idea about who I am and show that I really am just a regular, somewhat weird person just like everyone else.